Elkin High School will be modifying our daily schedule for the 2017-18 school year to incorporate a SMART Breakfast program. SMART is an acronym which stands for:
Students Maximizing Achievement with Resources and Time.
This schedule will allow our school to have a period in the morning which will better serve and provide opportunities for both students and teachers.
Students will benefit from:
- A scheduled time for remediation/tutoring in the mornings that does not conflict with afterschool activities.
- An opportunity in the morning for a make up time with teachers for missed work or tests due to absences.
- A time in the morning for club meetings or enhancement activities.
Teachers will benefit from:
- Being able to have a common planning time with other teachers in their department.
- Having a time in the morning for staff and committee meetings that don’t interfere with other afterschool activities and duties.
This SMART Breakfast period will be in the mornings from 7:50-8:25 am. Each teacher will have a posted schedule when they will be available to assist and meet with students. Teachers may schedule tutoring or make up sessions with students during this time. Club meetings may also be scheduled during this time by club advisors. The cafeteria will be open and serving breakfast during this time period each morning and also the media center and makerspace area will be open with activities for students. Students who arrive on campus before 8:25 will be expected to be in a teacher’s classroom or in one of these areas. Students who have no make up assignments to complete or tutoring to attend would not be required to be on campus until 8:30 which is the beginning of first period.
Teachers will not be available for students on Wednesday mornings, as this day will be reserved each week for staff meetings. However the cafeteria will still be open for students.
Class periods will remain at ninety minutes per class and the end of day dismissal will now be at 3:10 pm.
I am very excited about this SMART Breakfast concept and the opportunities that it provides for our teachers to enhance the education of our students. If you have any questions concerning our new schedule for the 2017-18 school year, please do not hesitate to contact an administrator at Elkin High School.
Principal, Elkin High School